1 cup of oats
1 Tbsp. hemp hearts
2 tsp. chia seeds
¼ cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
¼ cup of unsweetened, shredded coconut
¾ tsp. cinnamon
Dash of salt
1/3 cup of diced apple
½ tsp. vanilla
¼ cup + 3 Tbsp. of almond butter
4 Tbsp. honey
¼ cup of raisins
Using a spoon, scoop out a small amount of the mixture and roll into a ball. You may need to squish the mixture together before rolling. The size can vary, but I try to get 10-18 bites.
To store, place the balls on parchment paper in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge.
Key nutrients and tricks:
- Feel free to add in other nutritional powerhouses like wheat germ, flax, maca powder, oat bran, or other spices like ginger and nutmeg.
- This recipe has a nice balance of fat from the hemp hearts, nuts, and coconut, carbohydrates from the oats, apples, and raisins, and protein from the chia seeds and almond butter.
- I love to eat a few of these before an early morning run. The dried fruit provides a natural source of sugar, which can replace an energy gel or chew.
- Use this recipe and change the flavors by adding in freeze-dried strawberries and cocoa powder in place of the apples and cinnamon, dates and almonds, or coffee and peanut butter.
- Sometimes I double this recipe and freeze the second batch. I simply defrost in the fridge and they are ready to go for the week!
- If you want the bites to be more moist, add in half of a mashed banana.