Hello Strong Runner Chicks! We are happy to team up with Lifeway Foods and share the amazing benefits of probiotics and kefir! Each week we will share a little bit about the benefits and include a runner friendly recipe. To start things off, here is a brief breakdown of what a probiotic is.
What is a probiotic?
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are beneficial and work with your intestinal flora. Also known as “good bacteria,” probiotics can be found in food or food supplements.
What do they do?
Probiotics have live and active cultures that help move food through your gut and support a healthy digestive system. Probiotics also help keep your immune system strong.
Food sources rich in probiotics:
*What is Kefir?
Kefir is a creamy yogurt beverage, made from fermented milk. It is high in protein, calcium, and vitamin D. Kefir has a tart and tangy taste and is a great addition to smoothies or eaten on its own.
Why should runners add Kefir to their diet?
- Kefir is high in calcium, so it is perfect for helping you maintain an optimal bone density and fight off stress fractures and other injuries. One serving of Kefir provides 30% of your daily calcium needs.
- One 8 oz serving of Kefir provides 11 grams of protein, making it a perfect post-run snack!
- Intense training wears down your body and immune system causing you to get sick. By adding a healthy dose of probiotics, you will strengthen your immune system and be able to train longer and harder.
Berry Kefir Smoothie
- 1 cup Lifeway kefir
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach (for some extra greens!)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
Add ingredients to blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
For more information on the benefits of probiotics or where you can find kefir in stores, visit www.lifewaykefir.com.